Friday, November 23, 2007

Wikis makes waves!


Since the onset of this course, I had the feeling of (TIO) Technology Information Overload. However, once I set out to organize the assortment of tools for education into categories for teaching, I realized that my lessons can be more effective if I apply the appropriate tool.

As Victoria Davis stated, wikis serves as a "toolbelt" for organizing information in manageable formats that elicit a multitude of instructional philosophies, such as making connections with other materials based on relevance and applicability. She also addresses the educational aspect of the program that directs students to collaboratively engage in information presentations on specific topics.

According to Robert Brooks, Ph.D. nurturing student interest and having them produce information that they can call their own is vital in the learning process. He states that students have reported that teachers pay no mind to student-led discussions and topics. In order to bridge that gap, students must be able to take ownership of their work and align lessons accordingly.

No comments: